National Health Insurance
- Background and Regulations
- Costs and Payments
- Guidelines for Insuring at Taipei Tech
- Renewal of the NHI IC Card
- National Health Insurance Administration
- Contact OSA
Background and Regulations
According to the National Health Insurance (NHI) Act, any foreigner who has stayed in Taiwan for over six months is obligated to underwrite in the NHI system.
How do I, a new student, know if I am qualified to join NHI?
Counting from the issue date of your ARC, you are qualified to join NHI if you have stayed in Taiwan for 6 consecutive months. Within this 6 month period, you are only allowed to leave Taiwan once for no longer than 29 days. You are qualified to join NHI if you are certain that you have not violated this regulation.
Costs and Payments
The cost of NHI is included in the tuition fee for each semester. After students have paid the tuition and completed the underwriting procedure at Taipei Tech, the Bureau of National Health Insurance will issue payment forms to the university to pay the insurance fee on behalf of the students. The cost is NT$ 749 each month, which means a total of NT$4,494 (NT$749x6) for each of the two semesters in a year. The amount of NT$4,494 will be paid for the first semester (six months starting from September to February) and subsequently, the same amount for the second semester (six months starting from March to August).
Guidelines for Insuring at Taipei Tech
Newly arrived students who have stayed in Taiwan for over 6 months :
The staff of the Office of Student Affairs (OSA) will email you for filling in the NHI IC cards application form. The application forms will be submitted to the Bureau of National Health Insurance in the middle and the end of each month by the university. The procedure will take about two weeks, and the IC card will be sent directly to the mailing address that you provided on your application form.
Newly arrived students who have NOT stayed in Taiwan for over 6 months :
Once you have stayed in Taiwan for over 6 months, please follow the procedure outlined in Scenario 1 to underwrite in the NHI system.
Students who have underwritten NHI under other associations or schools but would like to transfer their NHI accounts to Taipei Tech :
Please check if there is an “insurance fee” item on your semester tuition receipt.
- Yes : Please refer to your previous agency (language school, company, or municipal administration, etc.) for an insurance policy closure document. Bring the closure document and tuition receipt of the current semester to the Overseas Student Advising Section to transfer your NHI to Taipei Tech.
- No : Please refer to your previous agency (language school, company, or municipal administration, etc.) for an insurance policy closure document. Then bring the document to the Overseas Student Advising Section of the Office of Student Affairs to get the payment form and pay at the Cashier of the Office of General Affairs. After payment, please return to the Overseas Student Advising Section again with the payment receipt to transfer your NHI to Taipei Tech.
Renewal of the NHI IC Card
Please apply at the Bureau of National Health Insurance. The renewal cost is $NT 200.
National Health Insurance Administration
Website : http://www.nhitb.gov.tw/english/index.aspx
Address : No.140, Sec.3, Hsinyi Road, Taipei 10634, Taiwan, R.O.C.
Toll-free number: 0800-030-598
Office Hour : Monday to Friday, 8:30-12:30 ; 13:30-17:30
Contact OSA :
|Ms. Nikita Ko
Overseas Students Advising Section,
Office of Student Affairs (OSA)
- Student Status Eligibility Check
- Admissions - International Students
- Admissions - Overseas Chinese Students
- Admissions - Mainland Chinese Students
- RISTEKDIKTI Application to Taipei Tech
- Information for New Students
- Tuition and Fees
- Other Scholarships
- Health & Insurance
- Forms Download
- Transportation Information
- Campus Map
- Taipei Tech Academic Calendar
- Course Selection Information
- Payment Information
- Taipei Tech Dormitories Information
- Library Regulations
- Campus Services
- Student ID Card Reapplication
- Health Care Center
- Emergency Contacts
- Applying for a mobile / cell phone & number
- Restaurants around Campus
- Hospital/Clinic Information
- Market Locations
- Bank Information
- Off Campus Housing
- Electricity and Voltage
- Weather in Taiwan
- Travel Directions to the Taipei Grand Mosque
- Visa Information